What the villa might have looked like by Wendy Williams

The Crofton Roman Villa house was occupied from about AD 140 to 400 and was the centre of a farming estate of about 500 acres.

The site was discovered in 1926, when workmen were preparing a driveway for some new council offices, and unearthed some Roman artefacts.

The house was altered several times during its 260 years of occupation and at its largest probably had at least 20 rooms.

The remains of ten rooms can be seen today, now within a modern cover building. Two rooms contain the remains of their opus signinum (concrete) floors, and three have evidence of tessellated (tiled) floors. Details of the under-floor central heating (hypocaust) can be seen, which features both channelled and pillared systems.

 

Crofton Road, Orpington, BR6 8AF
Tel: 020 8460 1442
Times: Seasonal, see attraction for specific details.